This Mencia based wine is from a nearly unheard of appellation called Ribeira Sacra. It's on the easternmost side of Galicia, and is extremely rugged and mountainous (and exceptionally beautiful). Dominio do Bibei is arguably the top winery in the region, and this wine comes from estate vines ranging in age from 15 to over 100 years old! It's filled with black fruit and mineral notes, with a softness not often seen in Mencia. The tannins are extremely fine-grained and the wine is silky on the palate.
|Format:||6 x 750ml|
PRESS: 94 POINTS, WINE ADVOCATE:
The eponymous 2014 Dominio Do Bibei is a blend of two traditional red grapes from Ribeira Sacra, 80% Brancellao and the remaining 20% Mouratón from vineyards ranging between ten and 60 years of age on schist and decomposed slate at altitudes between 250 and 550 meters above sea level. The selected grapes fermented in open top 500-liter French oak barrels with indigenous yeasts after a three-day cold soak. It matured in used French barriques for 15 months followed by a further six months in a 1,500-liter oak foudre. This is a style I hadn't seen from Dominio Do Bibei before, a lighter red with very perfumed notes, floral, spicy, insinuating and subtly earthy. The palate is terribly elegant, nuanced, beautifully textured, with vibrant acidity, profound flavors and very fine tannins and a subdued minerality that lifted the wine up and provided length and a super tasty finish. I love this style. 2,000 bottles produced.
From icon Rioja winery Artadi, this white Rioja is made from old vines that are mixed in with the Tempranillo vines in their top Alava vineyards. Made from 100% Viura,...
100% Tinto Fino (Tempranillo) primarily very old vines – 40 to 80 years old- from seven different villages in the province of Burgos, plus younger grapes from AALTO's own vineyards in...